Register by March 15 and receive 10% of camp tuition. Coupon Code: Early-Bird2013Discount
Fly fishing every Tuesday. Science and Art Connections every Wednesday and Thursday.
EVERY Tuesday with Dustin Mastro
Sign up for one day or EVERY Tuesday to discover the mysterious world of fly fishing! Learn from the experts as we understand the natives and non-natives, what they are feeding on, trying to replicate invertebrates in the form of fly tying. Cast your line, learn the balance and practice the strategies for ecologically sound catch and release fly fishing. Fly fishing equipment is provided.
Science Art Connections- Every Wednesday and Thursday.
Every Wednesday and Thursday, dig deeper into natural science and interpret your knowledge and discoveries through photography, clay, journaling, and much more. To gain the ultimate experience, please consider registering for all four days within each workshop.
Interpreting Nature through Clay~ June 5, 6, 12 and 13- Get connected to the earth by digging for your own clay. Get inspired in the woods and interpret the water, wildlife, birds, mountain blooms and their pollinators, the clouds and other natural phenomena. Enjoy slab building, pinch and coil, 3D sculpturing and more as you work your hands through the earth and create and fire a masterpiece to take home.
Field Journaling ~ June 19, 20, 26 and 27 Create your own field journal to take home and interpret the natural world in these beautiful Rocky Mountains! Enjoy landscape sketching, watercolor painting and pen and ink drawing in your hand-made field journal. Explore the lifezones in these mountains, the krumholz in the alpine tundra or the Ponderosa Pine forest in the Montane lifezone.
Nature’s Design ~July 3, 10th and 11th How does the paper wasp create its perfect forms without a ruler? How does the spider produce a perfect Orb web within seconds without a you tube video? Have you ever really noticed the patterns on a pinecone and how absolutely perfect they are? Don’t you wish humans could easily do this too? This is called Biomimicry. Let’s become inspired by these amazing miracles and utilizing many mediums we’ll create three dimensional forms inspired by the earth. Big and small, these creations encourage others to enjoy these details. Photo document your work on the land as well as create your own sculptures to take home.
Field Photography July 17, 18, 24 and 25 Make history at Wild Bear Mountain Ecology Center and create its very own field guide of Mud Lake. Bring your digital camera, your keen observation skills and work with a professional photographer to document the unique ecosystems at Mud Lake. Learn about composition, technique and strategy to capture images of the plants and animals at Mud Lake. Publish your works within a Mud Lake field guide that all visitors to Nederland will treasure for a lifetime. Include your name in this publication that will be used year round within the nature center. Take home a copy of the field guide to share with your family and friends.
Water Sculpture July 31, August 1, 7 & 8 Have you ever seen the Mud Lake Mona Lisa? How about the Bassalisk that winds its mysterious body throughout Wild Bear’s property at Mud Lake? Both masterpieces were created by Wild Bears with the help of local professional sculptors. Did you know that the City of Boulder owns its own glacier and you can see it from Wild Bear’s Linnea’s Loop trail? Here is your opportunity to design and install an interpretation of one of our most important resources: water on Wild Bear’s trail.
- Programs run 8:00am-3:00pm in Nederland, Colorado. (drop off any time between 8am-9am, after care is available after 3:30 with pre-registration).
- Choose any or all days of the week.
- There are different ways to register: 1) Wild Bear provides online registration. or 2) Call us at 303-258-0495 and we can take your registration over the phone or 3) Fill out the registration form below and mail it to us with a check made payable to Wild Bear Mountain Ecology Center. 4) or visit us at Wild Bear in downtown Nederland to register with a live person! We are open 7 days/week noon-5:30pm.Click here for a pdf of Art and Science Connections. Use the registration form included to also register for Fly Fishing Camp.
- Sign up for any combination of days: $60/day (9am-3:00)
- Bulk rate: Sign up for 15 days or more: $55/day
- Shuttle fee: $8/child/day between Boulder and Nederland. (Drop off your child at 8am in Boulder and pick up at 4pm in Boulder)